Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Crying Over The Book Thief (A Kind-Of Film Review)

If you love The Book Thief and want to cry with someone about it, here's your chance.

I read The Book Thief in sixth grade and I still remember the knowing looks I received while I was reading it, telling me that I'd love it and I'd cry my eyes out. If you've read this book, you know that obviously they were right.

To this day, The Book Thief remains one of my favourite books. And of course you can tell by the way it looks. The cover is creased, the pages are dog-eared and there are some places where the glue of the binding is even visible. ALL SIGNS OF A BOOK DEARLY LOVED.

So it's not a surprise that I went to go see the movie this weekend. And totally not a surprise that I LOVED IT TOO.

The first thing I noticed about the movie was the cinematography. It was absolutely gorgeous and fit the language of the book very well. Markus Zusak writes very descriptively in The Book Thief and I felt the cinematography conveyed the beauty and the expressiveness of Zusak's language perfectly.

I also loved the unique bits the writers included. There were some things in this movie that weren't in the book but I wished were. For example, that last scene with Rudy and Liesel, the writers decided to have him say I love you but he never gets to finish it before he dies. And that absolutely BROKE ME. It was so sad and I swear, if that had been in the book, I would have cried like a baby too.

Also, the entire cast was amazing. Like if you need an example of well-casted characters, just take a look at this film. The filmmakers nailed every character, even Rudy's little brothers! Everyone on screen was exactly how I imagined them in my head while reading, especially Liesel who was pretty great. I can't think of anyone better to play her! And by the way, if you haven't seen Sophie Nelisse in Monsieur Lazhar, I think you need to do that right now. It's another spectacular movie!

The only thing I have to say is that the film lacked the depth of the book and it really felt rushed at times. Which is understandable because The Book Thief is such a daunting book to turn to film and I don't even get why this happened because who in their right mind would want to take on such a challenge but I'm not complaining because this movie made me love the book even more.

Seeing the characters I've loved for so long on screen and totally perfect made me realize how much The Book Thief means to me. I literally do not think I have crossed paths with a more perfect book ever in my life and I'm so happy I read this book. And I really cannot express my love in words. There are just no words that equate to my feeling towards this book. All I can really say is that it's amazing and if you haven't read it, you should RIGHT NOW because this is not a book to be missed.

And now my dear friends, let us hold hands and weep over our beloved characters. To Hans who is the quintessential father: loving, caring, funny and simply amazing in all ways. To Rosa who has a steel mouth but a warm heart, who inspires me to stay strong and persevere through tough times. To Max who taught me the importance of words. To Rudy who is the greatest friend in the entire world, who makes me tear up at the very thought of him, and who I love so very very very much. And to Liesel who is such a strong character and one that inspires me to inquisitive, caring and kind in my life.

Finally, much thanks to Markus Zusak for writing this wonderful story and for making me feel all kinds of FEELS over the span of 550 pages. You are such a great writer and I admire you so much.

No comments :

Post a Comment