Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Bookish Radar (3)

As a book blogger, my bookish radar is always on. I'm constantly hearing about titles of books and while some of them don't particularly interest me, others so do. These are the books that I currently have my eyes on. I WILL READ THEM IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO. Inspired by On the Smugglers' Radar @ The Book Smugglers and Waiting on Wednesday @ Breaking the Spine




Starbound #1
Released December 10, 2013

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.



First, that cover is HOLY CRAP BEAUTIFUL. I've been really digging the galaxy background on covers lately and the large, sans-serif font so delights my inner designer. I've heard SO much about this book lately, like SO much. Everyone else seems to have read it or at the very least, gotten a hold on it so obviously, I feel tres out of it! And double obviously, I need to rectify that as SOON as possible. Also, can we give a hip hip hooray for a good love story? I want to feel ALL THE FEELS.


Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis
Released September 24, 2013

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.




Again, I've heard a lot of great things for this book so I'm really excited to read it. I love the idea of a dystopian society with a lack of water. It should seem so obvious to write a story about this, considering how wasteful we are with our water so I'm happy that someone finally did. My parents are always laughing at me at how paranoid I am about not having enough water when I'm like 50 but guys, IT COULD HAPPEN. This book probably wouldn't do anything to ease my paranoia but damn, does this look like a grrrreat read.


Pointe by Brandy Colbert
Expected release date: April 10, 2014

Theo is better now.

She's eating again, dating guys who are almost appropriate, and well on her way to becoming an elite ballet dancer. But when her oldest friend, Donovan, returns home after spending four long years with his kidnapper, Theo starts reliving memories about his abduction—and his abductor.

Donovan isn't talking about what happened, and even though Theo knows she didn't do anything wrong, telling the truth would put everything she's been living for at risk. But keeping quiet might be worse.




I LOVE reading about ballerinas, if my review of Bunheads is any indication and Pointe sounds so good and creepy in a good way. Almost like Black Swan-esque which is a pretty great thing considering that I really want to see that movie and just generally have a great appreciation for Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. The reviews on Goodreads, while sparse, are all generally positive which definitely gets me pumped for this book. I'm kind of curious to see how this story goes anyhow so I'm certainly marking my calendars for April tenth!


Released September 10, 2013

Set against Iceland's stark landscape, Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution.

Horrified at the prospect of housing a convicted murderer, the family at first avoids Agnes. Only Tóti, a priest Agnes has mysteriously chosen to be her spiritual guardian, seeks to understand her. But as Agnes's death looms, the farmer's wife and their daughters learn there is another side to the sensational story they've heard.

Riveting and rich with lyricism, BURIAL RITES evokes a dramatic existence in a distant time and place, and asks the question, how can one woman hope to endure when her life depends upon the stories told by others?




Yay for my first adult pick! I saw this book on my trip to Indigo the other day and was immediately intrigued. I love murders in books and this one sounds so good. Also, it's set in Iceland which I visited last year and fe;l in love with. AND it's also published by Little Brown whose books I always tend to love. I don't know about you, but for me, it seems the stars are aligned for me and this book. I feel like my explanation is so inadequate because there are so many more reasons why I want to read this book but I don't know how to say them in a coherent way so I'll leave it at I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WANT THIS BOOK. To be honest, I'm probably going to make a trip back to Indigo to get this one.


And that's it for this week! What books are on your radar this week? Have you read/want to read any of the books on this list? Share your thoughts!

No comments :

Post a Comment